Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Modifications: Removed 2008 Honda Metropolitan Restrictor Plate

Based on recommendations from Tony and reading some posts online I decided to try and remove the restrictor from my 2008 Honda Metropolitan. It has only been two and a half days but I can definitely tell the difference.

The restrictor plate is a thin piece of metal that cuts down the flow from the intake into the carburetor. In the pictures I have seen of previous model years this restrictor looks like it cuts the size of the intake almost in half. On the 2008 it only seems to cut it down by a quarter to one third.

The plate is a little tricky to get to. Here is how I removed the the restrictor plate:

  1. First remove the seat and storage compartment from the scooter. (Don't remove the screws from the seat hinge. They do not hold down the storage unit at all. I found this out the hard way. Luckily I found the "nut" for the bottom of the seat hinge.)
  2. Loosen the front screw (closest to intake) that clamps the carb to the intake tube.
  3. Slide the carb off the intake tube. (It doesn't have a lot of wiggle room because of all the wires going into it. But you will need that little bit of space to get the tools in to remove the intake tube.)
  4. Using a 10mm socket take out the two bolts holding the intake tube. (We had to use 3 different size socket extenders and a universal joint to make this happen. The two bolts are hidden under the cross beam for the frame and wedged so close to other parts of the engine you can barely get the tools in.)
  5. Remove the restrictor plate. (Make sure the "O" ring and seal stay in place and are undamaged.)
  6. Put everything back together.

After we put the bike back together I went for a short ride. I immediately noticed an increase in speed "off the line". It jumps up to between 25-30 mph much faster than it did before. After riding for a couple days I believe I have also noticed a 1-3 mile increase in overall top speed. I'm about to put a fresh tank of gas in. I will watch to see if there is a significant decrease in miles per gallon over the next week or so.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your instruction set, managed to remove the plate from my '05 in ~20 minutes and nearly doubled the acceleration and added 5mph to the top speed (24mph before, 29mph after) The '05 plate cuts down airflow by easily 2/3

Unknown said...

Do you have the Met II? I've seen a review saying that the Met II was different from the regular Metropolitan in that it had a "special restricting washer in the exhaust pipe."